Popular Posts

3/29/2011

Be Kind Mission Day Seventeen

The alarm crowed at its usual hour-before the sun arose. I was sleeping soundly in a nice, comfortable, warm hotel in Jacksonville, North Carolina.

My flight to Charlotte was wonderful. Passengers were chipper, and my flight crew I worked with was fantastic.

The next flight I worked to Tallahassee. When he boarded the aircraft, I greeted him warmly, with my usual, "Welcome Aboard!" He grunted as he took his seat.

When I sat in my jumpseat for take-off, he was staring at me, and it was quite the intimidating stare. He just would not stop staring at me.

When we did beverage service, it was the same thing. It was a stare that I had not had in a long time, and it was beginning to make me uncomfortable.

I greeted him during the beverage service, and was quite kind to him, even though I was very uncomfortable.

It was a rather interesting situation, one I hadn't encountered.

I remember when I lived in Hawaii and I stared at someone for a long time, and after class one day she approached me and said, "Your stare really bugged me. It was inappropriate, and you stared at me for a long time." When I remembered that, I began to laugh at myself.

All he was doing was staring at me! Nothing more, nothing less-just like I had been doing to her.

What would Mother Teresa do?

"Take time to think, to pray, to laugh." This is a quote from her book I am reading.

It's interesting to me that when I find myself in these challenging situations, if I think about it long enough, instead of allowing my feelings to get in t he way, I begin to laugh at myself-and my own ludicrous feelings!

No comments: