Popular Posts

3/04/2011

Be Kind Mission-Day Nine

Was on regular reserve today which means that they can call me within two hours for a flight. They called me at 6:45 am and told me to be at the gate for Greenville by 8:45 to work three flights today! Yippee!

I got to the gate eagerly and early. I boarded early, we shut the main cabin door early. Everyone was happy and feelin' the love when suddenly we stopped! WE just totally stopped!

Several minutes went by and the Captain made an announcement saying, "Sorry folks, from the flight deck, we can't take off until Air Traffic Control releases us because of weather."

I got the looks, and the rolling of the eyes from fifty passengers and 100 eyes all looking back at me!

One by one people called me to their seat. "What about  my connection?" "We can get you a speedy cart upon arrival." Next person, "There's no bad weather, it's clear in Greenville." "I apologize sir for the inconvenience, we have to wait for clearing from ATC before we can go-and from the feaderal weather patrol." (Or whatever they call themselves."

Another lady, "They told me they would bring my boarding passes onto the plane for Orlando before we took off, do you have them?" "No, maam, I apologize."

I made coffee and began serving coffee and water. All the while, I'm not getting paid!

Captain says, "Laura, can you make another announcement, we are still waiting on weather and air traffic control."

I made the announcement.

People drank coffee, and water and began laughing at the absurdity of it all. Yes, laughing! I couldn't believe it. They told me I was doing a great job being kind while the Pilot was in the flight deck! I laughed as I passed out water and coffee. People were so kind to me, as I was kind to them.

What a novel idea!

Kindness-it really does work!

One guy even had compassion on me when I told him that I was getting paid half my pay for the flight because it was only a 35 minute flight. He said, "You mean they won't pay you a full hour?" "We only get paid for fly time." I said.

Finally, the Captain called me and said we could take off. We were an hour delayed now because of weather!

Upon landing in Greenville all passengers as they left said I did a great job and they enjoyed the flight! Many missed their connections, but overall it went well.

Mother Teresa is right!

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."

"Like Jesus we belong to the world living not for ourselves but for others. The joy of the Lord is our strength."

Mother Teresa

No comments: