Popular Posts

3/07/2011

Be Kind Mission Day Eleven March 6, 2011

My alarm went off at 5:00 am, and I boarded the shuttle at 6:15. We arrived at the Greensboro airport at 6:30 and made our way through security. When we got to the aircraft, I did my usual security check of the a/, as well as putting seat cushions down, putting up tray tables, opening overhead bins, crossing seatbelts, and much more-while not getting paid until up in the air.

We boarded the a/c on time. We pulled out of the gate..and we sat and sat and sat for what seemed like forever.

Suddenly the Captain makes an announcement that there is a maintenance problem, and we have to go back to the gate.

I heard the groans of the passengers, I saw the rolling of the eyes, and I knew this would not be fun.

Could I still be kind, not getting paid, dealing with angry passengers who have connecting flights?

Fortunately, this was a big airplane and I was working with a wonderful woman. Between her and I, we made coffee, served each passenger with a smile and did the best we could.

The first passenger said, "I am meeting my daughter and we are going to Cabo San Locos, what's the chance of me making my flight?"

The next passenger said, "Is this normal? Does this happen often?"

One by one, as I served them, not getting paid, I answered their questions-with my other co-workers friendly, warm demeanor.

Suddenly, without warning, the Captain makes an announcement, "We are going to have to deplane."

Did I mention we were having a severe rain storm in Greensboro? When we opened up the a/c door, the galley got sort of flooded. There we stood, soaking wet.

Ugh. It was not fun.

I was still kind!

Each passenger deplaned, the Captain stood there extending his apologies. One woman yelled at him as she got off and said, "Thanks to you, I'm going to miss my cruise." He handled her quite well, and said, "It's nothing personal, maam, this is only a machine."

Several passengers got off the a/c and told the Captain what a great job the flight attendants did!

After thirty minutes, the problem was fixed, and we were able to re-board. One woman got on the a/c , (the woman going to Cabo San Locos,) and begged us to let her put her big bag in our personal flight attendant closet. We moved our bags, and put her bag in the closet.

One lady saw what was happening and yelled, "If I miss my flight, it is her fault!"

Oh brother!

We finally left Greensboro at 9:10 am, and landed in Charlotte at 9:50, about two hours late. I listened in the back with each person's complaint and spoke to them with kindness and compassion.

As each passenger deplaned they told us we handled the situation with excellence!

When I looked at my pay for that flight, I was only paid for about forty five minutes. I started the day at 5:00 am, and I literally only got paid for the flight time.

This really is a mission right here in America.

Being kind, when it's difficult.

 “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.”
Mother Teresa

No comments: