Popular Posts

5/14/2011

Day Twenty Four be Kind Mission May 14, 2011


She boarded the aircraft with the warmest smile. She must have been about seventy years old.

It was a beautiful Spring day, and I was happy to be flying.

She minded her own business during the entire flight. She was sitting in row nine, right behind the emergency exit row.

I never would've dreamed she would have caused an emergency!

She didn't even take a drink when I did my beverage service!

Right before landing, say about five minutes-she got up to go to the bathroom. I said nothing at that point, which I should have because the seatbelt sign was on.

After three minutes I had to go check on her. We were about to land!!

I went and knocked on the door and she reluctantly came out. She didn't cause an issue, and she sat back in her seat.

Right when we landed, she got up and went back to the bathroom! We were on an active runway, and it is against federal law to be going to any bathroom on an active runway.

At this point, it was hard to be kind.

I made an announcement for her to sit down, and she totally disregarded my announcement. She actually shewed me!! Yes, she shewed me away with her hand! I haven't ever had anyone shew me away since I was a child!!

She went to the bathroom anyway!

I had no choice but to call the Captain. The Captain had a manager meet this sweet lady at the gate.

When we deplaned I had to ask the lady, kindly, to wait right there beside me because she had to talk to the gate agent manager. She said, "Why?" I said, "You broke federal law-and it was a safety issue. You could have been hurt in that bathroom!" She said, "I am 86 years old honey, and I can't hold my bladder anymore."

I said, "Honey, when I am 86 I am sure I won't be able to hold it either." We laughed.

The manager met her and I don't know what happened after that. My Captain mentioned 'depends' to me after the lady left. We laughed.

It's hard to be kind when you have to be the safety commando. However, kindness is always a must in this business, whether or not we feel like it.

What would Mother Teresa do?

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
Mother Teresa

No comments: