Popular Posts

5/23/2011

Be Kind Mission day Twenty Three

He boarded the airplane in Washington DC and boldly stated, "I sat on the shuttle bus for twenty minutes. I was on time. This aircraft is late because of the crew."

I was floored. Truthfully, we were not late. The aircraft had just landed. My captain got the call, and we walked about two miles, to the airplane in Dulles. Yes, while the passengers get to take the shuttle bus from the gate to the aircraft, the crew has to walk pulling their bags!!!! I was already worn out, it was my last flight of the night, and this guy is yelling at me.

I said, "Well, we walked two miles, while you were sitting on the shuttle bus, and the airplane was deplaning when we got here-it's not our fault it's late."

He huffed and puffed and about blew the pland down.

He sat in the emergency exit row.

I began to make my announcement with a smile on my face and laughter in my voice. That gentleman got up out of his seat and made his way to the front of the aircraft. He yelled and said, "flying is serious business..." I said, 'yes it is sir.' He said, "I will sit down and not say anything to you the rest of the flight." I said, 'ok.'

I went to talk to the Captain who did nothing.

A flight attendant on the second row stated, "You handled him much better than me, he would be off my airplane."

When I went to debrief my emergency exit row he grunted and huffed while I asked him the questions-in a serious manner. I then stated, "This is serious business-sir."

Then, what do you know but one young man heard me say that to him and yelled out loud, "Why are you being mean to him-what if he has a heart problem or something?" (this first guy was about fifty six, and here this now young kid whose mom was beside him was yelling at me!)

I tried to tell the kid that he didn't know the guy had yelled at me twice. The kid said, 'I don't care.'

Then his mother did nothing while another lady beside them started yelling at me!

No, I was not kind at this point.

I walked away and went to the front of the aircraft where I asked my Captain to go talk to all of these people in the back.

He did.

The people in the front were on my side, and had seen all that had happened. They wrote their names and numbers down in case I needed them.

When we landed in Akron, Ohio, one lady complained to the Captain, the lady that had been behind the guy seated in the emergency exit row.

What can I learn?

What would Mother Teresa do?

"May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us." ..."
Mother Teresa

No comments: