Popular Posts

3/02/2011

Be Kind Mission Day Six

Flight from Augusta, Georgia to Charlotte, North Carolina Monday February 28, 2011

When we landed in Augusta at the charming, smalltown, brick airport I thought, "How charming, how hospitable, how adorable." I was thrilled at the airport. We arrived at the lovely Double Tree Hotel and everyone was quite hospitable-we even got a warm cookie to greet us!

The next morning, at 4:30 am, I awoke and got ready for my day. We got to the Augusta airport, and walked to our aircraft. I got on board, walked up those stairs with my bags, and did my security check. I put all seat cushions down, crossed seat belts, and put up tray tables. All this time, not getting paid. (We only get paid for fly time...remember?)

When the gate agent asked me, "Are you ready to board.?" I said, "We need some ice, please." He said, "I'll bring you some ice, are you ready to board?" I said, 'When I get my ice.' We were already early, and I knew we'd be boarding early. We need ice not just for drinks, we need ice for emergency situations, and every gate agent brings me ice-without attitude.

Several minutes later, his manager comes out and brings me my ice. He then says to me, "Did you tell the gate agent you wouldn't board without ice?" I said, 'Yes, we need it for emergencies, and we can't leave without it." He said, "Don't ever tell a gate agent again you won't board without ice." I was completely aghast!

He handed me my ice rudely, abruptly and rather quite mean. Needless to say, I bit my tongue, but was not kind to him.

After he left, I found it a challenge to be nice when I boarded my passengers-not getting paid to even board them. My passengers would have had to wait for ice whether or not they were on the aircraft. The gate agents just want the passengers out of their site and to move onto the next plane.

It was just ice!

The pilot told me I handled the gate agent well, and to not let it ruin my day.

I started being kind to the passengers on the aircraft, and did get a customer compliment sent to  my manager.

I find it is a challenge to be kind, in the midst of adversity and rudeness.

Mother Teresa
"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it."

No comments: