Popular Posts

3/28/2011

Day Sixteen Be Kind Mission

I sit in the Charlotte airport at 6:00 in the morning. I'm in uniform-not being paid. I am on call, what they call hot reserve.

It's early, I have not had Starbucks yet, and I go to concourse B to turn on my laptop. Before I can even get to the plug, I see coffee cups on the floor where I am about to sit. I see newspapers in empty seats where travelers used to be, and I begin to clean.

I ask myself why I am doing this. Why am I cleaning opm-other people's mess?! Passengers do not want us to treat them like children, yet this is precisely how they act when they leave trash in their seats. There are plenty of trash bins all over the airport. They could even bring it on the air craft with them and hand it to the flight attendant who would be glad to put it in her trash bin. Yet, they leave it there, in their empty seat as if to say, "This is someone else's job, and not mine."

What does this teach their children? What does this say to a flight attendant like me, who is cleaning up their mess, with an attitude, and not getting paid.

These could also be passengers that end up on my aircraft, and I have no clue that they were the ones who left their trash in the empty seats. Trash left behind.

Trash left behind. I don't think God has come back to earth and the rapture has occured so they have a good excuse. It's just rude, and I must be kind at all times-especially in uniform.

What would Mother Teresa do?

I just read in one of her books that there is no shame when we ask for help. I really needed help with this one. I really needed a dose of my own advice inside my head as I cleaned up opm.

Her quote for the day: "There is no shame when we need guidance of help."

I asked my higher power-God-for help that day, and He did. He gave me inner peace and gratitude of heart as I continued to clean.

Thank goodness that we can ask for help in our internal Spirit when we need it. We can also ask other's for help, and not feel ashamed!

No comments: