Popular Posts

4/09/2011

Be Kind Mission Day Eighteen

It was a beautiful Saturday. Spring had definitely arrived. The birds were singing a tune to die for, and I really didn't want to leave my husband. However, reality set in at about 1:30 pm, and it was time to head for the airport.

I was on 'hot ready reserve.' This means I had to be hot and ready to be called at any moment to hop on a air plane and fly.

Minutes turned into hours, and before I knew it, it was 9:00 pm and I had not been called.

I was getting aggravated.  The beautiful spring day, had turned into doom, gloom and dark clouds. It was lightning and thundering outside, and flights were cancelled and delayed. I listened to loud crying babies, frustrated parents, and angry passengers complain. Suddenly, the fire alarm at the airport went off and disturbed the loud complaining all around me!

I decided to leave the spot I had taken over, and stroll through the airport to a new place.

I walked passed several gates, up several elevators, and ended up in a lovely part of the airport where a wonderful sound came from around the corner. As I came around the loud corner, the sound of a piano filled the air.

'Ah, my dream...to learn to play the piano!' I've longed to be able to read notes since my grandmother played. My husband bought me a keyboard, and all the tools to play, and I've yet to discipline myself to learn.

As she played, I was drawn to the mesmerizing sound.

I just had to sit and listen, and I did.

I then remembered my promise to myself that any tips I got, I would give away. I had been given an 8.00 tip the other day on the airplane, and knew I had to drop it in her jar.

I did, I, with a song in my heart, tipped her 8.00. She was ecstatic!

I smiled to myself knowing the old saying comes true, "You reap, what you sow." Maybe, just maybe, one day I'll be her, playing at an airport somewhere, somehow, someway.

A beautiful spring like day, that had turned to gloom and doom, ended with a song in my heart. All because of a change in my step, and kindness in my heart.

What would Mother Teresa do?

"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile."
Mother Teresa

No comments: