Popular Posts

2/20/2011

Day three Be Kind Mission February 20, 2010

Before the roosters crowed, I awoke. Time was approximately 4:00 am. I was in Huntsville, Alabama.

I made coffee and it came out weak-not a good start to my day. "Oh, forget the java."

I put on my flight attendant uniform, checked out of the Sheraton and made my way through security.

I got onto the aircraft at 5:15 am and did my usual morning duties. After about fifteen minutes, I was ready to board for the 6:00 am flight. The first officer said, "We're broke." I said, 'Broke, do you want me to buy you guys coffee?' He said, 'No, I mean we're not going anywhere the plane is broke!' "For this, I got up...?!" I said, and he said, "You're preaching to the choir."

We got off the aircraft and the Pilot bought us coffee.

Two hours went by and the problem was fixed.

We got back onto the aircraft at about 7:20 am. A passenger boarded the plane and said, "I'm sorry, but you won't have happy passengers this morning." I said, 'Well, thanks for smiling!'

Then, here comes my passenger challenge of the day. She walked onto the aircraft with a major frown, didn't look at me and literally ran down the aisle crying to her seat. Some distraught man was tagging along behind who, and I would later find out that was her husband.

As I made my announcement I apologized for the delay and assured everyone that this would be a good flight. I did my beverage service and when I reached this particular couple, she still was not smiling.

I said, "Is there anything I can help you guys with?!" Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! She said, "Oh yes, we are going to be late for our flight to Fort Lauderdale. If we miss that flight, we will miss our family cruise."

Ok, now it was beginning to make sense! I asked for the time of departure and the flight number. I spoke with the Captain, and he made a call into their gate to hold the plane. I even moved this couple to the front row so they could depart first. I made it a point to have a speedy cart at the gate for them when we landed.

By the end of the flight, they both were smiling. She said, "Right before I boarded the plane, the ramp agent said that I had an attitude problem." I said, "What?!" She told me the story and we both began laughing very hard.

Now, I know why she was totally upset. She was afraid she would miss her family cruise, and the ramp agent had been rude to her.

Kindness did pay off.

Quote "Receptivity is the posture that fills empty hands." Mother Teresa

No comments: